WELCOME!

Hey Everyone, thanks for coming by to check out Veldman Photo's blog. Feel free to check back often, as we will keep you updated with not only our work, but we'll sneak some of our life in as well. Who doesn't love a good, funny story because you know that there's always something strange and odd happening around these woods!

If you are interested in booking Veldman Photo for a wedding or portrait session, or have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks again for coming by!

Abby (& Todd)

Monday, May 9, 2011

My trip to Haiti... through Todd...

Well a few weeks back, Todd took the trip of my life. I say it that way because I was not able to go, but I felt like I was there for that week. I thought about it for so long and dreamed of it so much, that when Todd left to go on the trip, I was pretty heartbroken.

Todd along with about 18 other people made the flight down to Miami, then to Port au Prince, then by bus to Jacmel, then by dumptruck to Seguin, Haiti with an organization called Raincatchers. This organization is awesome and they provide gutter systems to Haitians for them to have clean drinking water. LOVE THAT!

The minute he left, which was about 4 in the morning a few Saturday's back, I was an emotional wreck. I could not believe for one that I was going to be alone for the next week, not that I get super lonely but let me remind you he was going to be in a third world country with people he did not necessarily know too well an no form of communication with me, along with me being pregnant is not a good combination, and for two, this was suppose to be a trip with myself included, so I was pretty upset I was not going to be there.

After the initial shock wore off that he was going to be gone for awhile, I had more peace about him being there because I knew he was going to be doing some MAJOR goodness to this world and what an opportunity to do that.

Fast forward through that week and the Saturday came when he is to fly back in to Detroit... I was so excited! I stayed up so late because I wanted to be able to go to the airport and pick him up. It was like our wedding day all over again... I had butterflies in my tummy because I was so anxious to see him, the anticipation was killer... but the time flew by and there he was all tan and 10 lbs lighter. Ha! It was perfect seeing him again...

We stayed up even later talking about his trip and I was in awe of all of what he got to experience and super jealous! But knowing my situation, it was not the time to be brave and bold and risk anything dangerous to happen.

I'm so excited to share some photos from his trip because not only are they a huge testimony on what this organization does to help, but it is also a reminder of what we have and should be thankful for each and every day!

Haiti had a HUGE earthquake last January that pretty much destroyed most of the buildings in Port au Prince... this is just ONE of the many buildings that were destroyed and most of the destroyed buildings are still looking this way with not a lot of hope for it to look much different than this anytime soon...

Photobucket

A lot of people lost their homes, so they have formed "tent cities" where they now live...

Photobucket

This was their form of transportation up the second half of the mountain...

Photobucket

On roads like these for 4+ hours... and this is a 'NICER' part of the road...

Photobucket

But the trip is worth all the trouble because THIS is where most get their drinking water... notice that this one pond is where animals bathe, people bathe, people wash clothes, and much more uses for the same water as it is to drink from...

Photobucket

And THIS is a RAINCATCHER! Basically, when it rains the water streams down the roof, into the pipe, through a filter, and into the barrel... which in turn is clean water to drink...

Photobucket

Haiti has some terrible deforestation problems... way up in the mountains with NO trees... terrible situation!

Photobucket

Soooo cute!!!

Photobucket

Look at all those kids that just follow them around... adorable!

Photobucket

Haha...

Photobucket

So sweet!!!

Photobucket

This makes me so sad... poor guy!

Photobucket

There are some really beautiful spots in Haiti, this is on the way up the mountain...

Photobucket

Todd, and this particular team that went, were able to provide more clean drinking water to 57 more Haitian families while he was there... so AWESOME! I am in awe of the impact they made to those people, and every little step counts towards a better world.

Please keep Haiti in your prayers as there is so much corruption and destruction that is there, that it is so hard for people to make a better life for themselves or for their children!

If you are interested in more information on Raincatchers, check out their website. I know Todd would be more than happy to share any information as well as he has expressed how much he wants to return for more.

No comments: