WELCOME!

Hey Everyone, thanks for coming by to check out Veldman Photo's blog. Feel free to check back often, as we will keep you updated with not only our work, but we'll sneak some of our life in as well. Who doesn't love a good, funny story because you know that there's always something strange and odd happening around these woods!

If you are interested in booking Veldman Photo for a wedding or portrait session, or have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks again for coming by!

Abby (& Todd)

Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day to everyone!

As silly as this sounds, I'm not exactly sure what "Labor Day" really is. I asked Todd this morning and he said it was an environment day, but I'm not sure if he was telling the truth or not. I tend to ask a lot of questions and he knows this, so most of the time he gives me an answer that is not really the right one just for fun or to keep me from asking more. Ha! Oh well! I'll bought it. Although he told me what it REALLY meant later and it's not an environment day!

This whole weekend has been great! We've been spending a lot of time outside, considering it's been gorgeous! We went out and bought tennis rackets because we found out that the park about 2 blocks from us has courts. I feel like Maria Sharapova on the court gracefully volleying the ball back and forth and almost always being in bounds. Ok, not really! I'm working on it, and now that I have a racket we can go play more. We also went out to the lake on Sunday, and it was awesome. Not a cloud in the sky. I made it my goal to lay out in the sun as long as possible, since I haven't had time this summer... I should've put at least some sunscreen on though... a little sore, but I'm brown today!

Today we got up and went over to Port Huron to see a couple more lighthouses. Being both Todd and I's first trip there, it was pretty nice. We went to the first lightship, note I wrote "ship" there, which was really cool. I can't remember the story on it, but it was pretty interesting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The second one we went to was the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, which is the head of St. Claire River. Something I noticed that I really don't understand, and this could just be me, but why in the world would you put a bright orange fence around a beautiful lighthouse. I mean I understand that the authorities or whoever want others to stay out and they want to keep it nice, but the whole "bright orange" I'm really clueless on. This is the second one I have photographed that has had that orange fence, and it does not add greatness to photos. But oh well... some people just don't think like I do I guess. Ha! We couldn't get too close to it, but we were able to see through the barbwire fence they also had up to get a good shot of it. This one was probably my least favorite so far because of its surroundings. Lots of industrial plants and smoke all around it, not very pleasant. But I love the texture it has. Pretty cool and the weather was nice, so that made it worth the trip.

Photobucket

Love the fence?? Yuk!!

Photobucket

But it's coming to the end of a great weekend! I hope everyone else had a wonderful time with friends and family or getting projects done, which I know we've done quite a lot this weekend as far as those. Have a great rest of the week! Mwaaa...


P.S. Thank you to my loving husband for thinking of me this weekend, and for doing things that you might not be thrilled with but know I enjoy, like the lighthouse trip... love you!!!

Photobucket

3 comments:

theChurchGuy said...

Hi, there,

I lived in Port Huron for 16 years before moving to the Heart of Georgia. I know, the orange stuff doesn't look all that great. It's there because they have closed the lighthouse recently because it's falling apart. The "texture" is the way it is because the bricks are eroding. They're supposed to be doing renovations on it in the near future--hopefully, getting started before winter sets in (which, in MI could be any day now!).

:^)

Once they do the repairs, they'll open it up for tours again. You'll be able to go in, get some history, and climb to the top.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Randy

Deb-Close to my Heart Consultant said...

you did a good job of minimizing the orange nastiness. lol.

labor day is in our of all those unionized people that get it off and get paid.... honor the working man.

theChurchGuy said...

It is my pleasure to minimize orange nastiness whenever and wherever I find it! It is my mission, my calling, my joy, my passion, my addiction, my obsession and my...well, you get the idea.

My work here is done.

;^)