WELCOME!

Hey Everyone, thanks for coming by to check out Veldman Photo's blog. Feel free to check back often, as we will keep you updated with not only our work, but we'll sneak some of our life in as well. Who doesn't love a good, funny story because you know that there's always something strange and odd happening around these woods!

If you are interested in booking Veldman Photo for a wedding or portrait session, or have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks again for coming by!

Abby (& Todd)

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cupcakes...yea or nea?

So I will admit that I'm a terrible cook, right off the bat. Maybe not necessarily TERRIBLE, but definitely up there when it comes to cooking a good meal. Every now and then, I'll do something right or even wrong to the recipe and it will turn out good. But about 80% of the time I seem to forget to do something, or add something, or cook too long, or I'm best known for bad timing where everything gets done at a different time, so half of the hot food is getting cold while what you are having with the hot food is not finished yet, or WHATEVER. I do usually get an A for effort though, and I try REALLY hard!

Well I'm trying to practice baking for my sister's baby shower come June because I want it to be PERFECT for her. I want to bake some really cool stuff, one of those being mini/baby (baby-hence the theme) cupcakes. I want to come up with some really cool ideas for that and more importantly I want them to "taste good." The problem is, is that I don't like cupcakes too well. I would rather have an ice cream cone with sprinkles (of course... you can't forget those!) than a puff of cake with sugary icing that just takes like you dipped a spoon in the sugar bowl. It's just not my thing.... PLUS, I'm such a calorie freak that when it comes to counting them out and the whole nutritional value of each, ice cream wins all the way. But I am very lucky because my husband LOVES cupcakes, so they won't go to waste if I do practice, plus it's getting nicer out and I'm seeing a lot more of our neighbors so they can be my taste testers or dummies... if they think that I'm an awesome cook. Haha!

So Todd and I decided to make some cool cupcakes, called mini-cookies and cream cupcakes. We did them up real nice, followed the recipe to a t, and I even got out my frosting tips to ice them with. As they got done cooling, I went ahead and got everything together to ice them. It figures with me cooking something would go wrong... right?! Well... turns out the icing was extremely runny and I was trying to decorate them, but it was like it melted and it dripped all over the counter. Plus, they didn't even taste that great. So there goes the cookies and cream idea. BUT... I did however try to make them look nice, and do a little product shoot with them. We did shoots like this in college where you try and make something so irresistible. As pathetic as they look in person, let's hope the photos do them more justice than they deserve. Well... I hope I did that in these couple. We have plenty left over so if you want one... we'll send one your way. But just know there is 114 calories per MINI cupcake...haha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

rmsargent said...

lol... anything you do will be perfect. they do look pretty. im pregnant remember i'll eat anything. love you